you're reading...
Grandad's WWII Diary

Grandad’s WWII Diary – Photos of Alexandria 1943

In my Grandfather’s diary entries from Tuesday 27th April – Friday 30th April 1943 and Friday 30th April – Monday 3rd May 1943, he wrote of his leave in Alexandria.  These photos were possibly taken during this period of leave.  The caption to the photos is what he had written on the back of them.

Gardens of Khedive Ismail - Alexandria

Gardens of Khedive Ismail – Alexandria

Gardens of Khedive Ismail - Alexandria

Gardens of Khedive Ismail – Alexandria

Kazziha(?) Hospital - Now English - Alexandria

Kazziha(?) Hospital – Now English – Alexandria

Advertisements

About The Sock Mistress

Slight fixation with socks. At last count, I had enough pairs of socks to last 14 weeks without having repeat a pair. IT geek by profession. Disney nut. 3rd world loan shark (http://Kiva.org ). Finds humour in the inappropriate. Holiday planner extraordinaire. Mum to doglets. Crazy Dachshund lady.

Discussion

9 thoughts on “Grandad’s WWII Diary – Photos of Alexandria 1943

1. It would be fascinating to see what the places in your granddad’s photographs look like today.

Posted by a gray | September 11, 2015, 2:11 pm
    • I have considered at the end of the project seeing if I can do a “then and now” with some of the photos.

Posted by The Sock Mistress | September 11, 2015, 2:34 pm
      • That would be very interesting.

Posted by a gray | September 11, 2015, 6:28 pm
      • If you are an accomplished photographer, it shouldn’t be an issue but if you aren’t just practice in your own location first. I made that mistake when I went to Seattle to take “then and now” images as you mention. It was a failure for the most part. While I can partially blame it on the fact my dad’s hotel in which he lived is no longer standing, I didn’t plan for parked cars and truck, construction, landscaping and time of day…and that’s only a partial list! 😦

Posted by Mustang.Koji | September 16, 2015, 7:33 pm
  2. Those buildings would have been pretty impressive for Aussies and Kiwis back then

Posted by suchled | September 14, 2015, 7:33 pm
  3. You are fortunate in several ways. First, he was a shutterbug…and two, the photos survived for all these decades!

Posted by Mustang.Koji | September 16, 2015, 7:34 pm
    • I suspect a lot of the photos were purchased but I can’t be sure. Some are definitely his and some appear to be commercial ones. When I said I’d do a then/now, I’d be doing it via Google, I have no plans to go to Egypt to trace his steps 🙂

Posted by The Sock Mistress | September 17, 2015, 11:55 am

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Join 2,427 other followers

Winnie is beside herself with excitement over meeting her new Grandad for the first time today #dog #dachshund .
#dachshundsofinstagram #dogsofinsta #cute #sleep #sleepy #dogs My beautiful girl Winnie ❤️ #dog #dachshund .
#dachshundsofinstagram #dogsofinstagram #sausagedog #wienerdog #doglet #cute #love Doesn't Winnie look lovely in her pretty new collar - I couldn't resist the pink flamingo bow #dog #dachshund .
#dogsofinsta #dachshundsofinstagram #Winnie #cute #pretty #sausagedog #wienerdog Love ❤️ her and her silvery muzzle #dog #dachshundsofinstagram .
#dogsofinsta #dachshund #doglet #olddog #love #cute #sweet @dachshundsofinstagram Winnie enjoying a sleep in this morning before going to the v-e-t (annual vaccinations)  #sausagedog #dachshundsofinstagram .
#dog #dogsofinsta #dachshund #sleep #weekend #saturday @dachshundsinparadise When you want to sit on your human and the bed too #dogs #dachshundsofinstagram .
@dachshundsinparadise #dog #dogsofinsta #dachshundsofinstagram #cute #sleep #winnie As they say "let sleeping dogs lie" - not sure if they meant on the spare bed, but it seems to work for them #dogs #dachshunds
#dog #dachshund #dachshundsofinstagram #dogsofinsta #sausagedog #sleep #bed #cute #pet We would like to announce the arrival of Winnie to the household #dog #dachshund @dachshundsinparadise .
#dogsofinsta #dogsofinstagram #dachshundsofinstagram #doglet #love #cute #sausagedog