Right next to the Bogyoke Aung San Market (aka Scott Market) on Bogyoke Aung San Road in Yangon is the Holy Trinity Cathedral. For a predominantly Buddhist country, in this area of Yangon, there are actually a number of Churches, Mosques and a Hindu Temple.
We visited on a Friday morning, and it appeared they were setting up for a wedding later in the day out in the grounds, so we had the inside of the Cathedral mostly to ourselves. It was a beautiful church to sit and cool off and admire the beautiful stained glass.
The cathedral was completed in 1894 and is on Yangon City’s Heritage List. It was designed by Robert Chisholm, a Madras-based architect with the hot and humid climate in mind.
As we’d been to a number of pagodas and temples in Myanmar, and since this was on our last day of our trip, we thought we’d even the religion out a bit with a touch of Anglican/Christianity for good measure.
Many allied troops died in Myanmar during World War 2, mostly British and Indian nationals. The memorial chapel is dedicated “to the memory of the men and women of many races and religions who fell while fighting with the XIV Army, and with other British and Allied Forces during the Burma Campaign, 1942-1945”. Remembrance plaques for the different companies line the walls of the chapel.
The next three photos are just a small handful of the memorial plaques.
The remembrance book has a page turned each day with the names on it.